Class Details

Every Wednesday beginning October 5 from 7:00-8:00 p.m.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week 2

This month we discussed Week 2 of our study of Jesus, the One and Only. We were given the opportunity to picture Jesus as an infant as his parents brought him to the temple to be dedicated to the Lord. We reviewed the importance of his circumcision as a Jewish male and made the parallel to our spiritual circumcision that as God's child, our lives should be different and set apart.
We put our mental pencil to work and draw a mental image of what Christ may have looked like as a grown man. Isaiah reminds us that there was nothing that set him apart from any other man. He didn't have a god-like appearance as we may have assumed, but we know many were drawn to him.
What a privilege to witness through the Word Jesus' baptism as he embarked on his ministry to heal the brokenhearted, bring sight to the blind, preach the good news to the poor, and set the captives free. We saw John lean Christ back and dip him in the waters. As he brought him back up Jesus was dripping with the sins of those who had received cleaning and forgiveness. Heaven was opened and Jesus caught a glimpse of the home he had left when he came to earth to save you and me. What a precious sight that must have been for Him!
These were my highlights from the lecture:
  • Prepare for a powerful work of Christ in my life. He is ready and willing. All I have to do is come and be open to Him.
  • I need to get rid of any debris that might have gotten in the way of my relationship with the Lord. What have I allowed to stop the flow of God's power in my life?
  • Don't be content with what God has done in the past. God wants to do a new work in me! If I am over my head in life, I am "sitting pretty" for an amazing work of God!"
  • I am a consecrated vessel. I need to ask myself, "Do I treat myself as a holy vessel in what I read and watch, and in how I live my life?"
I am so thankful for each of you! Thank you for your faithfulness in studying and for your participation in class. I love hearing your answers and your hearts each week as we have our discussion.

I encourage you this month to work on your study a little each day. Please continue to remember the prayer needs in our groups.

How is God working in your life today? He wants to work powerfully! Will you let Him?

Growing with you,
Dianne

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Dianne for leading such a wonderful Bible Study for us. This is the first one that I have attending and I am learning so much and getting in the Word more. Getting to know more about Jesus Christ is my heart desire. This Bible Study has given me a new and fresh understanding.
    Blessings,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I talked to Barb Meek on the phone Thursday. She said I better take my tissues to Bible Study, I would need them for the video. She was right!
    This Bible Study has made Jesus seem so much more personal/human to me.
    Listening to Beth talk in the video made the events of Jesus' baptism so real. How inadequate John the Baptist must have felt. Yet, how elated! God was so pleased with Jesus that He opened the Heavens. He was "Right There"! I don't always recognize God's presence in my life, even though I know He is there. But there has been many times that I have felt Him in an unbelievable, awesome way! Jesus must have been so happy to know that He had pleased His Father. It made me wonder, when was the last time God was pleased with my works.
    I was also touched by the story of the Hindu people who stepped out on faith to be baptized. How proud God was for this public confession. How blessed we are to be able to have a Bible study, with no worry of persecution.
    I, personally, feel very blessed to have my Mom and my niece in this class with me.
    Deanna Rice

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that the Bible Study has a blog. Since I am in Lexington during the week, I don't get the opportunity to go to the actual meetings so the blog helps me feel more connected to you all. This is the first Beth Moore Bible study I've done. Reading the lessons help me get so much more personal with the scripture. Making time to do the lessons encourage me to do the other things I need to do as a Christian like prayer and meditate on God's Word. My life seems very hectic at times (I am sure like everyone else) but, like Dianne wrote, this week's lesson really demonstrated to me the debris that is cluttering my relationship with God.
    Dianne thanks for creating the Blog. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sharon, Deanna and Bethany for your comments. It touches my heart so deeply to hear how your lives are being challenged and you are growing as you are faithful to study God's Word.

    ReplyDelete