Class Details

Every Wednesday beginning October 5 from 7:00-8:00 p.m.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Staying Close


As a mother, I can recall being in crowded, busy places where I was concerned that my child might get lost, wander away, or even worse, be taken away by a stranger.   When my sons were babies, I either carried them in my arms or put them in a stroller, assuring their close proximity to me and safety.  As they grew and were too big to carry, I made sure their hand was tightly clasped in mine.  There was a time, though, when they had to choose to stay close to me.  I couldn't put them in a stroller, certainly couldn't carry them, and wouldn't have embarrassed them by holding their hand. I simply strongly urged them, "stay close." 

Our Bible study this month has brought us to the time in Jesus' life that he was destined and purposed for, the cross.  It has been so interesting to closely watch the response of Jesus' followers.  As our gaze fell on Peter, I couldn't help but become so aware of his physical distance to Jesus.  Luke 22:54 says that they took Jesus into the home of the high priest and that Peter followed at a distance.  Verse 55 continues, "But when they had kindled a fire in the middle of the courtyard and had sat down together, Peter sat down with them."  By the time the rooster crowed, Peter had denied even knowing Jesus, just as Jesus had predicted he would. 

How I would love to push the "play" button on the video of this story to see verse 60:  "The Lord turned and looked straight at Peter."  I don't think Jesus' look was a look of condemnation. I think it was a look that said, "Peter, stay close."  "Peter, don't sit down and fellowship with those who are far from me.  Remember who I am.  Grab on. Don't let the enemy take you away."

Wandering away makes room for the enemy to step in.  Listen to Peter's words in 1 Peter 5:8:  "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour."  This was a lesson Peter had learned firsthand. 

Just as my children had to choose to stay close to me as their parent, the Lord allows you and I to choose whether we will stay close to Him.  Oh, he could force us to follow, but that would go against his nature.  He wants us to choose Him.  It's a choice we have to make every day. 

What have your actions today said about the choice you have made?  Have you been in the Word?  Have you taken time to pray?  Who are you spending your time with?  How are you using your time and resources?  Jesus urges you and I:  "Stay close."

Serving with you,
Dianne

No comments:

Post a Comment